I have made the decision to get a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery. (I dont want this crap to come back and take over my life again...I have kids to raise and I want to be there for EVERYTHING for them, not laid up in bed after treatment) Because I want reconstructive surgery, my doctor has recommended a plastic surgeon in Des Moines. Since I will be there, another surgeon at the Cancer Center there will first perform my mastectomy and immediately after the plastic surgeon will do the reconstruction.
Yesterday I had my consult with the breast care doctor/ surgoen, Dr. Scott Hamling in Des Moines. He explained that with doing a mastectomy, I am lowering my chance of the cancer recurring to less than 1%. If I had a lumpectomy, the chances of recurrence would be roughly 14%. Because the MRI came back showing no signs of cancer in my lymph nodes (we dont know this for sure until after surgery), he feels that there is a chance I could be 100% cured after surgery. He made me much more hopeful.
We are still waiting results from the genetic testing to see if I carry the BRCA1 gene. If I do, we may be removing my ovaries.
I have a small chance that I may not need chemotherapy. I am praying and hoping for that.
Thank you for doing this blog Val. I think about you often and am thankful for an easy way to check in on you when it's difficult to reach you directly.
ReplyDeleteI know I am not a mother myself, but I can tell you (as you know) kids are resilient. And often times stronger than we are. They will suprise you I am sure. You are a wonderful mother and that will not change regardless of your health.
Thinking of you often! Love you!
We are all praying for you Valerie. I may be far away but I'll be there in a heartbeat if there is anything I can do for you!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the blog. It truly helps to know how you are feeling, what the next step is, the results of the many tests, if we can help in any way, etc...
BIG HUGS & LOTS of LOVE being sent your way!
YFA, Beverly