Thursday, May 5, 2011

May 5th 2011

Cinco de Mayo- but no margarita for me! :)
Yesterday, I had my second expansion in West Des Moines with Dr. Reece. I brought Alayna and we went out to eat with my friend, Ashley and Alaynas boyfriend, Ashley's three year old son, Braiden. They were super cute together...and Alayna was asleep before we even left Des Moines.
Today, I had outpatient surgery to place a port next to my collarbone. The port will be used with chemo treatments so that they do not need to find a vein each time and poke me several time, trying to find my veins. (Today, they had to poke me twice to get the IV in for surgery and two times to find the vein to draw blood at the Cancer Center.) I honestly didnt really know what to expect today, and didnt even know what the port would look like. It looks like a small bell. I was told that I might not be totally out of it, and maybe could hear them talking....but not me! I was totally out! I had to have x-rays done afterwards and then was released.
I went directly over to the Cancer Center, to my appointment with Dr. Singh. We discussed the treatment again. My first chemo treatment will be next Friday, the 13th. (Thats not freaky at all, is it?? Friday the 13th!!) I will go at 8 in the morning. It should take 2 hours. Saturday, I will need to go to Waverly Hospital for a shot that will help bone marrow regenerate, since the drug used for chemo will kill bone marrow cells.
I think its not really needed to say that I dont love that I have to go through this. Im still not ok with it. I was reading the side effects of the drugs I will be recieving and they all cause infertility. Thats the most unsettling part for me. I am blessed with two amazing biological children, but it is terribly hard for me to accept that I will not be able to have anymore biological children in the future if I wanted to. If it was my choice to not have any more children, that is a different thing...but I dont even get that choice.
Thats really the hard part for me now...
And losing my hair isnt amazing either...but that is reversable.
ok, theres me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment